1.27.2010

Even Starbucks Has To...

We came across this NY Times article about a Starbucks in Seattle that at first glance isn't a Starbucks.  Even if you rarely, if ever, step inside one I bet you can conjour up what they look, feel and smell like.  That cookie cutter image, spread across the globe, is one thing that has built their brand and reputation.  You know exactly what you're getting when you go into one and I bet you can even recite their trademarked drink sizes, but even Starbucks has felt the econ pinch.  Well, this new Starbucks is a prototype for a possible brand shift in the direction of perceived local-ism.  I feel like 'local' is fast becoming the 'organic' word of the 21st century, which like true organic products can offer a real positive shift in how we make purchasing choices.  I'm 100% for buying as much locally as possible, but I'm getting away from myself.  The point I'm trying to make here is even a corporate giant like Starbucks has to reevaluate their brand, develop new strategies and maybe offer a decent cup of coffee.  Don't become stale in your own business.

Cheers All...

No comments: