1.25.2010

Pull Marketing

I wrote last week about starting a twitter account, I know revolutionary right, along with half a million other businesses.  But it's all part of a serious new system we're implementing here called pull/engagement marketing.  I didn't coin these terms but am very excited about where they're taking us.  This is all about building a following behind your work, your expertise, your brand.  Because lets face it, the 1-2% return rate on sending out mass promo emails doesn't seem to return the same amount you put into it.  I'm not suggesting you stop pushing promo pieces onto your prospective clients, but maybe you do it in a way to get them interested in not just your images but also you as a person and you as a brand.  How many times have you talked with someone who seems to be rolling in work about their marketing strategy, only to have them give you a blank stare or a sheepish grin and say they haven't marketed a day in their life.  I don't know about you but this drives me crazy, especially because I've put my time in cold calling, cold emailing, etc etc.  But now I think these seemingly lucky photographers actually have the best marketing you can have, they have their potential clients coming to them.  How does that happen?  It happens through referrals, providing consistent results, building a solid brand thats trusted, by being a professional, and by targeting the very people they want to work for.  The twitters, blogs, forums, linkedin's are all brilliant platforms for you to engage with potential customers, to talk about your work, to answer questions and to build your brand into a powerhouse or predictability.  So yeah, I'm liking the twitter.  twitter.com/scottmansfield

Cheers All!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Me too! And my most recent find with Twitter: the shop items I link from my twitter get just as many hits as a newly re-listed item. Try it.