10.05.2009

Editions editions everywhere...

As a practitioner of the fine art print the need to make editioning decisions has continually bugged me for years. I was never satisfied with the traditional method of limiting the number of prints to a specified number.  Either that or I just plain can't make up my mind.  The foundation of limited editions is rooted in the very real fact that a carved block, of any material, only has a set number of prints it can perform before it's worn down and unprintable.  With photography, especially digital photography, there is no physical pressure applied to the negative (or digital file) and thus the image can be re-printed indefinitely.  The only reasoning behind limiting an edition in photography is to artificially increase the value of each print.  There are far smarter people than I who have debated this very issue for years.  Now I'm not wholly against this, I like money as much as the next guy.  My problem lies in the fact that photography is an infinitely manipulatable and reproducible art form.  Anything within the image can be changed.  And traditionally, in a limited edition all prints are identical.  My vision of any particular image can (and often does) change over the years, and I'll adjust the image in future prints to reflect that change.  So if I decide one day that I want all prints to be 11 inches square and very dark, is that the start of an edition?  And equally confusing is when I change my mind and decide that I like all my images to be 15 inches square and on the lighter side, then what?  Perhaps this is all just language and applying definitions.  Maybe I should just concern myself with making images and not bother with the rest.  But I just can't seem to let it go, so recently I've decided on a system that seems to meet all my idiosyncrasies.   Open, sequentially numbered editions where there is no cap on the final number of prints and each image sold can independently unique.  By adjusting the price of the prints every 10 or 15th print sold the print run will eventually cap itself monetarily.  This is not a new idea and I by no means invented it, but I just wanted to share what has been streaming through my brain all week.

No comments: