2.23.2010

Observation

I think it's necessary for a photographer to be an acute observer.  Even more so than participation.  To learn observation, with and without a camera takes patience.  How many times have you sat and watched the immediate world around you.  The unfolding scenes surrounding your perimeter.  Whenever I do this the first thing I notice, if I happen to be in a populated area, is how fast people move through.  As I sit and watch I also become aware of emerging patterns within my little world.  How light and wind interact with my little scene, insect life, which at first seems random but eventually patterns emerge even there.  Without touching a camera I learn about this patch of world by simply watching, removing myself from participating in what I see.  I've always considered myself a watcher of things, a self described, or prescribed, naturalist.  After sitting awhile I decide to wander on to my next patch and I come to recognize the innumerable places I myself have simply sped by, never taking the time.  But once in awhile it's good to stop, sit down and watch.

Short but sweet, cheers all!

No comments: